1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp whole fennel seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 C olive oil
1 lemon, sliced 1/4” thick
1/2 yellow onion, sliced 1/4” thick
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 split chicken breasts (skin on)
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place thyme, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in a grinder or mini food processor and pulse until ground.
- Stir herb mixture into olive oil, set aside
- Distribute onion slices on a cast iron skillet and stack lemon slices and garlic slices on top.
- Place chicken skin side down on top of the lemon. Pat the chicken dry then brush with half of herb and oil mixture. Flip the chicken over, pat the skin dry with and then brush with the remaining oil and herb mixture.
- Roast chicken for 25-30 minutes or until 165°. Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over while it rests for 5-10 minutes.
- Plate with cooked onion and lemon slices.
This is a take on Ina Garten’s whole Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken